Spend too much time on the London tech scene and you may begin to forget that there is a whole country out there. Manchester, Edinburgh and Birmingham all have vibrant tech communities and we thought it was time we went along to a midlands based event. And where better to start than with the local chapter of Mobile Monday!
Mobile Monday is a brand recognised around the globe where people interested in technology get together and share ideas, demo their work and try to identify the next big thing in tech. Mobile Monday Birmingham (or MoMo Brum as it is affectionately known) has only been around for a short time, but it manages to attract well over one hundred people to its events.
There were some great products on display:
- 5APP a startup dedicated to making sure your content gets pushed regardless of data connectivity (on the train back to London I could have used this!).
- Zimble, a service that enables users in Africa to quickly create websites for free
- SiteTAGA from our good friends Intohand that enables you to create high quality mobile websites in minutes
- Lightwood games (who won the BlueVia best use of Mobile prize at GameHack this year) were showing off their innovative multiscreen gaming technology.
- Finally, Microsoft had a large presence demoing Windows 8 on tablets and discussing the huge potential of the platform.
MoMo Brum not only provides a great opportunity to demo products, it also attracts some great speakers:
- Rich Holdsworth from Wapple on the mobile web and the mobile world
- Ian Scott from Microsoft on Windows 8 and gaming
- Joel Graham-Blake from The Den on Personal branding through mobile – 5 useful tips for Making your brand stand out.
All in all, a great event and we are looking forward to the next one!