Alongside Bango’s Martin Harris, mobile services expert Roy Vella and John Maynard from m-Pesa, Matthew Dicks, BlueVia’s Head of Marketing, took a seat on the panel for (Mobile) Money Makes the World Go Around, a Q&A session chaired by Tim Green.
What followed was a fascinating discussion on the fast-moving world of cashless payments. Topics covered included:
- the role of developing markets in leading innovations in mobile money. Traditional financial service providers – the incumbents – have a limited presence, giving new players space to move.
- why, according to Roy Vella, SIM and NFC-based payment systems are destined to be remembered as last gasp attempts to remain relevant. OTT services are set to become rampant.
- how emerging payment alternatives, such as Jack Dorsey’s Square, will disrupt traditional financial payment services. Could this lead to merchants taking back control of payments from the likes of Mastercard and Visa?
- that mobile payments through telcos have an important place in the mobile payment ecosystem, especially in markets where large proportions of the population are unwilling or unable to use credit card-powered payment options.
- BlueVia’s payment API and our recent announcement that Telenor has joined the BlueVia platform – the start of an exciting movement.
It was a great event. Kudos to Helen Keegan and Mozilla for hosting it! We’ll share video as soon as it’s up.